Physical Chemistry research is divided into three main areas:
- Ultrafast laser spectroscopy of chemical reaction dynamics, development of fibre lasers and supercontinuum sources, and laser control and manipulation of molecules and mesoscopic particles.
- Oxygen microscopy and imaging that focuses on developing tools and methods to create dynamic (singlet) oxygen-based images of heterogeneous samples ranging from industrially important polymers to biological cells.
- Physical Chemistry of soft condensed matter focusing on studies of the structure and thermodynamics of polymers, block copolymers, and surfactants in solution.
The following Physical Chemistry research groups and centres are based at the Department of Chemistr:
- Photophysics, Photobiology and Photochemistry
- Laser Chemistry - Femtolab
- Physical Chemistry for Soft Condensed Matter
- Computational Chemistry
The individual groups are described in detail in the submenu at left.